Wednesday, October 5, 2011

East Coast Vacation - Day 1

Clarke and I had the amazing opportunity to tour the East Coast with my parents in September. We left the kids home with Clarke's parents and my aunts and headed out. We were gone 11 days.

Day 1

We headed to Cooperstown, NY to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. Cooperstown, NY is in the middle of NO WHERE! Surrounding Cooperstown are acres and acres of beautiful green farm land with fascinating old houses. It was so different than the dry, dead, brown of a summer in California. I was tempted many times to pick-up and move (but was reminded about their winters!).

Cooperstown, NY is dependent on the visitors to the Hall of Fame. Here is a little history about Cooperstown, NY.

The Mills Commission, chaired by Abraham G. Mills, the fourth president of the National League, was appointed in 1905 to determine the origin of baseball. The committee's final report, on December 30, 1907, stated, in part, that "the first scheme for playing baseball, according to the best evidence obtainable to date, was devised by Abner Doubleday at Cooperstown, New York, in 1839." It concluded by saying, "in the years to come, in the view of the hundreds of thousands of people who are devoted to baseball, and the millions who will be, Abner Doubleday's fame will rest evenly, if not quite as much, upon the fact that he was its inventor ... as upon his brilliant and distinguished career as an officer in the Federal Army


Abner Doubleday
Clarke was like a kid in a candy store! He loves baseball! I often joke that he can remember who won the World Series in 1967, but he can't remember to shut the closet door at home! (although he claims he shuts it every time!)



Old baseball gear

Clarke with Ty Cobb memrobilia

Ty Cobb was a pretty good baseball player...I know his name, but that's about it!


Babe Ruth uniform and memrobilia. I do know who Babe Ruth was!


This is some hate mail that Jackie Robinson received. He was the first African-American player in professional baseball.


Blue Jays stuff for the Blue Jays fan


The 1990's Oakland A's is are the teams I remember and grew up watching. Jose Conseco, Mark McGuire, Ricky Henderson, Walt Weiss, Tony LaRussa. I remember going to a lot of A's games during my childhood.

Clarke was THRILLED that Johnny Bench was making an appearance the day we were there. We listened to him for about an hour tell stories about his baseball years. Apparently he is the best catcher ever! Again, don't know much about baseball...I even called him Tony at one point. Clarke and Dad with Johnny Bench


Johnny Bench memrobilia

I am sure Clarke is going to look at this post tell me I missed half of the "cool" pictures. Oh Well!

It really was a great day. My mom and I even enjoyed ourselves. Baseball is part of our national past-time and I have some great memories going to A's games.



No comments: